Since starting off my Slimming World Journey, I’ve been experimenting with more cooking in the kitchen – getting rid of the processed food and learning to cook from scratch. This is easier said than done with a very active toddler, so I have found some old favourites rejigged to be a happy compromise. Diet Coke Chicken was a favourite dish of mine during my Weight Watchers Days, and now that I’m under a less restrictive diet and feeling more confident, I’ve been making some changes. The result is a delicious dinner which all the family loves (okay, the toddler eats two spoons and then walks away, but he does that with everything).
3Â chicken fillets, diced
One tin of pineapple, choppedÂ into chunks
One can of Diet Cola/330ml
300ml PassataÂ (Currently using the Tesco version, but the resealable bottle from Supervalu is also great for this)
4 tbsp Tomato Puree
2 Tsp Worchester Sauce
2 tsp Soy Sauce
Plain rice – can be wholegrain, I normally go with basmati.
1. Fry the chopped up chicken and pineappleÂ in fry light oil or another lo-cal equivalent
2. Mix together the can of Diet Cola and Passata, add the soy and worchester sauce.
3. When chicken is browned, pour the mixture over the chicken.
4. Stir in tomato puree to the mixture.
5. Let the mixture reduce by keeping it uncovered and on heat
6. Serve with wholegrain rice once the mixture has thickened to a consistency you like.
If you’re following Slimming World, this recipe is Syn Free. It’s a delicious BBQ style sauce, and the pineapple definitely adds to the flavour. I’ve also added in things like green beans, onion, broccoli and baby corn on occasion – it’s a very versatile dish that’s easy and quick to make.
Any other suggestions for healthy and quick dishes? Let me know in the comments below!